Fisherman's Forum Forum Index -> Fishing -> Noodeling for a monster catfish
Noodeling for a monster catfish
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:36 pm Reply with quote
fishead
Site Admin

Noodling is a southern US practice of fishing for catfish using only bare hands. Many other names, such as catfisting, grabbling, graveling, hogging, dogging, gurgling, tickling and stumping, are used in different regions for the same activity. Noodling is currently legal in eleven states.[1].

The term "noodling", although today used primarily towards the capture of flathead catfish, can and More..has been applied to all hand fishing methods, regardless of the method or species of fish sought. Noodling as a term has also been applied to various unconventional methods of fishing, such as any which do not use bait, rod & reel, speargun, etc., but this usage is much less common.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:05 am Reply with quote
rb2d2

How do they keep from being jabbed and injured with the sharp fins?! I've been stuck by a catfish before and it hurts like hell.

Question

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:43 am Reply with quote
fishead
Site Admin

They run their arm in the mouth and grab the gill cover to keep the fish from thrashing too much. Usually its the small catfish that stick you, they are so fast its hard to release them without getting jab with their venom fill fins. I heard rubbing fish slime on the wound helps and I tried it and it seems to.

Noodling is very dangerous, a big fish can hold you under and people drown from it. What I don't understand is how they find the fish. I heard they poke sticks on the bottom to find them but I never see these guys on video with sticks.

Fisherman's Forum Forum Index -> Fishing