Fisherman's Forum Forum Index -> Fishing -> Hi Dave - Mookie
Hi Dave - Mookie
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:39 am Reply with quote
Mookie

Dave,

Just wanted to jump in and say I found out the reason why I counld register in. I guess it was that was my username was case sensitive.

I went back and read your earlier blogs. I realize I am not the only one who wonders why computers, software, and what you want them to do, drive you crazy.

I have learned by reading your issues with DVD burning and copying.

It is freezing cold here in Mundelein, IL (northwest of Chicago) and I am going stir crazy. I fish quite often and this has been an incredibly long winter already, so I just recieved your Erie DVD and totally enjoyed it. The way you filmed it was great. It seemed like I was just sitting in the front of the boat. It was really nice to watch. You are a great fisherman too. Tomorrow I will order your river DVD and some of your ebooks. I am going to Erie April 24 for 4 days, and I would like to stay on Bass Island in a cabin for a week at some point. I am looking into the costs and cabin availability. Seems like a great vacation.

I have a website I made for my carpet cleaning business, and would like to upgrade it. Also, I would like to learn how to sell some things on ebay. You seem to have a good handle with this by all your time spent into your store. I must say your store site is really great and advanced.

I will be reading your blog and feel I will learn alot about fishing and computers.

Good to be aboard.

Mike
re
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:08 am Reply with quote
fishead
Site Admin

Hi Mookie and welcome! Lake Erie in april huh, thats a great time for big fish. I used to camp when I went there by myself. They have a nice park right on the water front. I used to go with the wife then return by myself and camp to save money. The last few years we stayed on middle bass which I prefer because south bass is so crowded in the late spring and summer. I want to return pretty bad, I am thinking about talking to the wife about it but it but now my daughter lives up in mid wisconsin so she probably wants to go there, but I think she misses it too. We have been going there every year since 94 but haven't been there since 2004.

I have done some work for people with their websites and logos etc. If you have any questions just ask.

Maybe we can get together and go out on the misissippi river sometime. We have pretty good fishing here at times as far as big fish.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Mookie

Hi Dave,

I replyed to your email thru ebay, but I wanted to update to you. I downloaded your ebooks easily and really like how that is set up. I would like to learn how to set up ebooks on my business website. We can talk about that later.

I hope you can decifer what I did:
DVD Missisippi River Walleye Fishing Wingdams FALL 2005
DVD & CD Fishead Fishing Cartoons for TV & PC best 375
Walleye Clip-on Trolling Sinkers Fishing any body water

I just paid for all these and was hoping on getting them all at once and save a little on shipping if it is possible.

Secondly I realized that am accidentally still bidding on DVD Missisippi River Walleye Fishing Wingdams FALL 2005, I did not need two of them. If you could correct my mistake I would appreciate it. thanks in advance.

Whew.. now that thats over with, I called Bormans yesterday and talked to Febe the owners wife. She was very nice on the phone. They raise there cabin prices considerably after Labor Day, and lower them after labor day. I would love to fish off the islands, but I think I will have to do it after Labor day.

I yahoo mapped Sterling, Il from Mundelein, and saw it was about a 3 hour drive. It would be fun to fish the missisippi for some walleyes. When are the best times for river fishing? You are so lucking being close to two great rivers.

I know you have alot of things going on with family commitments too, so you'll have to let me know when you usually hit the mississip. When are the big walleyes biting, spring and fall I would think.

I have sceduled Little Bay De Noc for late october and in november. Its a long trip up there but I have had some good fish there. Maybe by learning some new things from you I wil also start fishing the rivers more. Anyway it's all good. Good to hear from another avid fisherman, and computer nut.

Mook
re
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:47 am Reply with quote
fishead
Site Admin

oh, your mike, now I know whats going on. I will fix that and get you the right dvds that you can use, I hope.

You can get ebooks to have instant download through third party websites. I will try to find more info. Its pretty easy with ebay. I do offer them on my website but I email the ebook later instead of instant digital delivery.

Bormans was $50 a day when we stayed there but that was in 96, a long time ago. Maseys is the best place but he's expensive. We paid like 85 for the small cabins and 100 for larger ones, but haven't stayed there sinc 99. In mid bass we were paying a lot less. There is houses you can rent for under 1000 a week on the islands. Even bormans has one. That sounds like a lot but if you can get others to stay with you its a good deal. The houses are large and right on the water front. I always wanted to do that.

Fall is a good time for lake erie too. I have been there a few times in oct. The islands are quiet, hardly anyone around in the fall.

The best fishing is in the summer, because thats about all I fish anymore. I used to fish about everyday year round but now I just go when its warm. There is so many fisherman anymore in the cold months and they all congrigate so I just wait till summer and get away from everyone.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:43 pm Reply with quote
mojo

Hi Mike, glad to have you on the site. I am mojo, don't fish much , but enjoy daves artwork and site and his friendship. welcome aboard
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:10 pm Reply with quote
st louis angler

Hi mookie I feel the same way to this winter cant get over fast enough and I feel that I will learn a lot from dave experince. well thats all good fishing to you as well

st louis angler Very Happy Very Happy
re
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:23 pm Reply with quote
fishead
Site Admin

That post is from last year but mookie drops in once in awhile. I was sorting the fishing threads and moving them so this ended up on top, lol. Mookie lives 2 hours south of here.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Mookie

I am so happy.... All the snow melted here in Mundelein (northern suburbs of Chicago) and I can see my lawn! I even broke out my ipod and headphones and cleaned my garage, enjoying the 40 plus temperture.

I am going down to Shelbyville, Illinois on the 14th, and thought I could bring my boat down there and fish the shallow creek inlets, but I found out that the lake is still frozen...bummer. I will just have to fish the spillway instead. I hear they are catching some walleyes recently so I should be able to catch a few while I am down there for four days.

Dave, you were speaking about your filleting expertise. Do you have a video of this yet. I think that would be a good one to see. Also what is your double rig for catfish? I throw a double jig system with either a sassy shad, streamer fly, or twister tails, when I fish the spillway. I will often catch walleye or crappies on that rig.

I heard of the same situation where ice fisherman were left standed and floating out into open water, in Little Bay De Noc. That would be pretty scary, but I would think the locals know how to read the ice. I would bet 80% of those people stranded were weekend warriors or guys who had to many beers to make good decisions. You have to fish safly.

I will post how I do in Shelby.

Mookie

Hi, St. Louis Angler and mojo.

P.S. how do I get a avatar on my post?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:11 am Reply with quote
fishead
Site Admin

Hi mookie. I do sell a dvd showing how to fillet fish fast with an electric knife on ebay and my website. I can do a panfish in about ten seconds. I do catfish, walleye and bass also on the video. Its one of my best sellers:

http://www.fisheadtackle.com/walleye_dvds.html

I show this double rig for catfish on my site. One line has a floater to help keep them apart. The reason for it is because they bite, then don't come back and you don't know if they cleaned the hook or not, so this way it cuts that problem down to a minimum because you know you have one more hook with bait still on it.

http://www.fisheadtackle.com/tipsCatfish1.html

I head a lot of those guys on the ice at LE were from wisc and other places.

I too was outside messing around. I want to get my jetdrive flatbottom out but its just too muddy and I have a little time before the ice thaws out. I want to go catfishing in march, and walleye too as soon as the rock river thaws out. Maybe you could join me sometime. it nothing to catch 100 fish a day when the catfish bite is on.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Mookie

My buddy called me out ice fishing yesterday and we caught about 50 bluegill and 4 good crappies. I forgot my ice grippers so I was sliding all over the place on the wet ice. We are getting a few days of rain and 50 degree temperatures so the ice may be getting unsafe in some areas. I will definately be causious after reading the info on Erie.

I can't wait for Friday to drive down to Shelbyville to fish for some walleyes. I enjoy open water fishing over ice fishing. I 'll post how we do down there.

It would be fun to go on one of your river tripps, for some walleyes. Let me know in advance and I can work my schedule some. I have observed the satillite view of the fishing area of the river you were speaking about and saw the spillway too...looks like a good fishy area.
re
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:26 pm Reply with quote
fishead
Site Admin

well good luck down there. Sounds like fun on the ice. Good thing you didn't fall and break an elbow.

The news showed ice jams in iowa so the rivers are starting to thaw about 4 weeks sooner than normal. It won't be long now. Still too muddy to get my flatbottom out, but it'll be a couple weeks anyway before the river straightens out anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Mookie

A man was stopped by a game-warden in Northern Algonquin Park recently with two buckets of fish leaving a lake well known for its fishing. The game warden asked the man, "Do you have a license to catch those fish?" The man replied to the game warden, "No, sir. These are my pet fish." "Pet fish?!" the warden replied. "Yes, sir. Every night I take these here fish down to the lake and let them swim around for a while. I whistle and they jump back into their buckets, and I take em home." "That's a bunch of hooey! Fish can't do that!" The man looked at the game warden for a moment, and then said, "Here, I'll show you. It really works." "O.K. I've GOT to see this!" The game warden was curious. The man poured the fish in to the river and stood and waited. After several minutes, the game warden turned to the man and said, "Well?" "Well, what?" the man responded. "When are you going to call them back?" the game warden prompted. "Call who back?" the man asked. "The FISH." "What fish?" the man asked

I went down to Shelbyville and fished the spillway because the lake was still frozen. I didn't "catch" one fish, but accidently snagged about 6 huge buffalo and one 36 inch muskie. I was throwing a one eighth ounce jig with a twister.
Sometimes the fishing is really good, but this was not one of them. I plan on fishing the lake in about three weeks and look forward on some good crappie fishing.
re
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:10 am Reply with quote
fishead
Site Admin

The birds are still bunched together on the lines, so the fish are doing the same thing, bunched togther in deep water not doing anything. I guees it won't be an early spring after all.

I had a game warden checking my fish at L&D 13 one day and when I realized I was a few fish over my limit (it was 10 back then) I started throwing them in the water, but they wouldn't swim away. The game warden was yelling and running around netting the fish. It was one of those days, I was catching fish and boats moved in on me. Now I can share a spot, everyone make passes, but one guy moved in and wouldn't move. So I didn't take the time to count my fish while fighting with him. But he was counting them. When I bumped his boat he took off and called the warden on me and I was busted.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Mookie

I picked up navplanner from navionics so I can detail maps on my computer. I find it really fun to play with. I can set potential hot spot waypoints on a data chip and upload it to my Lmx27c. This will have me checking out some new areas on Erie, LBD, and some of the closer lakes I fish.

I am also very intrigued about this drdepth program which creates acurate sonar maps while you troll over them. They are the real deal, which are much more accuate that even premium navionic maps. I'll let you know how this program works.

I found this funny fishing slogan for you....

24 hours in a day, 24 cans in a case, you do the math

My first trip to Erie will be april 23 - 26, I cant wait.

Mookie
re
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:10 am Reply with quote
fishead
Site Admin

sounds like some fun toys you have. I enjoy using google earth to check out the places where I fish. Sometimes they have some pretty good images and I can make maps from them. The places I fish vary so much in depth its really hard to get to know the depths. Like around north bass, the reefs are difficult to get to know and navigate while fishing. Especially at night, its really hard.

But then sometimes its best to just be lost and go find fish. Thats what I do on new wingdams and areas I check out, just run around all over and then get marks after I get a bite or catch a fish. Sometimes I spend years being just off mark or just off techniques. Then years later I remember what I used to do with some patterns and techniques.

I need to get out there fishing. I hope the rivers aren't too high. I may check it out next week. I know where to catch fish, I just don't have the drive like I used to. Maybe when my grandson gets older it will help.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Mookie

Long time no post. Rolling Eyes

I want to inquire about your fees for guiding. I figure it would be best to fish with you and learn first hand. I'm about 3 hours east of you in Mundelein, 60060. When would be a good date to catch some nice walleyes?

I have been ice fishing my local lakes and have been catching the usual crappie, bluegills, and perch, but I am getting cabin fever bad.

I just came back from Lake shelbyville two weeks ago and the lake is 12 feet above winter pool, so the spillway water is really high and fast. This made fishing tough, but we did scratch out a few smaller walleyes and some 12" crappies. We threw them all back cause they looked cold and tired like me.

Also I see an upload field and was wondering if uploaded pics would be added to this post. I tried to upload a pic, and it took me to imageshack. Whats up with that?

Well, I hope all is great with you.

Mookie Mike
re
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:00 pm Reply with quote
fishead
Site Admin

Mookie, the images have to be hosted somewhere, that is why the imageshack popped up. I use http://photobucket.com/ to host my images, or I use my website. After you upload an image to photobucket, just get the img tags and that's all it takes. Imageshack and photobucket are both free.

As far as the best time it all depends, the river can go up and down regularly, so it's hard to predict. Last year it was good all summer, but it was good 2 weeks, then the river was high for 2 weeks, then good then high again. It was up and down all year. I fished from june through november. The best month was probably july but that changes every year. Last year was good for big fish and not so much good for numbers. It was tough fishing but I was catching big fish.

I charge 120 per person per day but I do let people go for half days, which about everyone wants to do anymore. I was thinking of not offering it anymore because full days take a lot of pressure off since they have more time to catch fish.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:37 pm Reply with quote
fishead
Site Admin

Mookie, you can send me the photos by email and I'll post them.

Fisherman's Forum Forum Index -> Fishing