Fisherman's Forum Forum Index -> Fishing -> Grass floating down river
Grass floating down river
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:48 pm Reply with quote
fishead
Site Admin

Younger fisherman may not know this but we never used to have grass floating down river all Summer and Fall. We didn't have the problem at all. The grass makes night fishing impossible, it makes casting impossible unless you can go to the side of the river that the wind blew it all to the other side. This problem is everywhere on the main channel.

I don't know for sure why we have this problem now, but I can guess. The Corps of Engineers keep the river lower than they used to, and with more current. The low water lets the grass grow and spread. The strong current keeps the channel flushed out for barges, but silts in all the backwaters. They keep the current strong by the way they set the locks, which are now controlled with computers to keep the current as strong as possible. They can set the locks so the water rushes down river instead of back currents below the locks. They filled in the deep holes below the dams to make this even more extreme. This current, along with the current caused by barges, hurts the fish, the spawning and the fisherman. Fish might like the grass though, because fishing is hard when you constantly have grass on your lures and baits.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:58 pm Reply with quote
fishead
Site Admin

I think I figured out why there is so much grass this year, the water was high so the grass grew good, now we have low water with very strong current so any waves from wind and boats causes the grass to break and flow down river. Even though the water has been at normal summer low this last couple weeks, the flow is about twice what it should be. They could slow the flow down and that would raise the water some and there wouldn't be any grass floating down river and the wingdams would be better for fish and fisherman. With the flow so strong the fish are hanging behind wingdams where something is biting the tails of all fish. This isn't normal and I would imagine the fish aren't feeding well, but I must say the Walleye and Bass sure look like they have been feeding well. Maybe they have been hanging around in lakes where the shad are and there sure is enough shad around this year.

Fisherman's Forum Forum Index -> Fishing