Fisherman's Forum Forum Index -> Photography -> Bird report 2010
Bird report 2010
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:57 am Reply with quote
fishead
Site Admin

Most of the birds have gone but I am still seeing a few Nuthatchers, Chikadees, House Wrens, Goldfinches, Woodpeckers and last week I was seeing Hummingbirds and Cardinals which may still be around. Yesterday I saw a Bluejay, which usually uses my feeders in the winter.

My new tinted windows are nice when it's bright out but a bit too dark otherwise.

I was surprised the other day, after chasing a Squirrel away a Nuthatcher flew into the feeder only inches away and it looked so small, I thought they were larger.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:37 pm Reply with quote
fishead
Site Admin

10/20/2010 - I have 2 goldfinch out there feeding, I thought they had all left. This morning I had a flock of house finches at the feeders and a flock of chickadees as well. Still have nuthatchs hanging around, woodpeckers, occasional cardinal. I can hear wrens in the evening. I saw a lot of kingfishers yesterday out on the rock river and one eagle. A couple days ago I saw a blue heron and and goose sitting together on a tree, saw one other heron. Yesterday I also saw a lot of seagulls at the dam feeding and crows by the landing.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:55 pm Reply with quote
fishead
Site Admin

10/24/10 Two goldfinches are out there feeding at the thistle feeder. They lost most of their yellow color. I was looking out the open window in my room and right in front of me a Nuthatcher landed on the water pan just inches away. I will keep trying to do that more often and see if they get more used to me. I had a Nuthatcher pecking at the window the other day letting me know the sunflower seeds needed refilling.

I saw ta few Dark Eyed Junkos yesterday.

Today I saw a Belted Kingfisher down at the creek near here, and thats where I saw a Bald Eagle there yesterday. I also saw a Reb Bellied Woodpecker in the tree in front of my window earlier today, I was able to get one photo but I think it is blurred.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:13 pm Reply with quote
fishead
Site Admin

10/29/10 I'm getting flocks of chickadees, house finch and nuthatchers. Woodpeckers are chasing each other, think they are territorial, but seeing more of those too. I just saw my first Bluejay in my window since last winter. I saw a couple Goldfinch this morning. Flocks of Darkeyed Junko's too. They sure like to feed on the ground, its hard to get a good photo of them. Seems I have more birds now than I did during the summer. I hope they stick around all winter.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:05 pm Reply with quote
fishead
Site Admin

I am having flocks of Finches now, both goldfinch and House finch. I figured out one thing, with the leaves falling and I get more sunshine I get much better photos and I now know the secret to editing - after looking at so many great photos, now if I see one that is not 100% in focus, or the pose isn't right, I can delete them as long as I have better photos to choose from. Some birds that are more rare I will have to wait to get better photos but I am deleting a lot of photos that are no longer up to par, in my archives. I took a look at some photos from my kodac cameras from earlier this summer and the quality is horrible. I am not sorry I sold that $270 kodac. Once a person uses a dslr there is no turning back.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:53 pm Reply with quote
fishead
Site Admin

A lot of birds left but I am seeing about every species, just not as many of some. On the other hand I am seeing a lot of cradinals, woodpeckers, bluejays and others. We got quite a bit of snow and seeing more birds than ever at the feeder by my window.

Bluejay & song birds all yield to Red-bellied Woodpecker. BJ is about the same size, same beaks, but the woodpecker's beak is sharper & I saw one give a jab at a sparrow the other day.

Nuthatches and downy woodpeckers are getting used to me and will feed right next to me at the window. Downy woodpeckers are tiny birds, would fit in the palm of your hand.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:54 pm Reply with quote
fishead
Site Admin

Lots of birds outside my window with all the snow covering the ground. Bluejays, cardinals, woodpeckers, sparrows, darkeyed junkos, chickadees, finches, crows, doves, nuthatchers, pinesickles, starlings and I'm more will be coming soon.

Fisherman's Forum Forum Index -> Photography