Fisherman's Forum Forum Index -> Fishing -> Whats Bad about Fishing Tournaments
Whats Bad about Fishing Tournaments
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:32 pm Reply with quote
fishead
Site Admin

This is for Walleye but is the same for Bass. Tournament guys fish harder and look deeper because it is all about money instead of fun. During spawning and post spawn periods they find these spawning areas that have been unknown to fisherman, they then tell everyone at the weigh-in where they caught fish, what they used and how they did it. Then local fisherman spread the word and then fisherman go and hammer those spawning areas and keep everything they can, like the big spawning females with eggs dripping and smaller males.

The fishing will be damaged, possibly beyond repair but the winners of the tournament are happy, and everyone thinks they are great fisherman and statues will be erected to always remind future generations how good these guys were, and how good the fishing used to be in the old days.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:08 pm Reply with quote
fishead
Site Admin

Last year they had a big tournament over there in the area I fish. The baitshop ran out of minnows so I had no live bait. I had to wait in line at the ramp behind less than friendly walleye fisherman who were in no hurry what ever, taking their time talking to buddies, getting rigs ready, and launching when they were good and ready not caring about others a mile back in line wanting to go fishing for fun. Everywhere I went I had a crowd behind me. They showed no respect for me whatever, they just moved in like I wasn't there. During the tournament swarms of boats hammered all the spots I had fished and the tournament was won in one of them.

Now I would have thought these guys knew a lot about Walleye fishing and only needed a map, but that's not true, what they do is look for other boats to find their spots and they also follow each other, because they are out for money and fame and nothing will stop them, and if they have to trample on other fisherman, so be it. When it comes to techniques, they use the same techniques on all bodies of water, trolling crankbaits with kicker motor, casting carnkbaits in current breaks and rocky banks or vertically jigging.

Just because a guy has won a lot of tournaments doesn't mean he is the best, it could be that he is the biggest follower.

Fisherman's Forum Forum Index -> Fishing