Fisherman's Forum Forum Index -> General -> Happy New Year fishead
Happy New Year fishead
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:02 pm Reply with quote
rb2d2

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:07 pm Reply with quote
fishead
Site Admin

Thanks rb! I didn't see your post, have to check and see why I didn't get notice for this general section.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:14 pm Reply with quote
rb2d2

I hope it was a good one!

Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:43 pm Reply with quote
fishead
Site Admin

It was just another day here, went to bed early. The kids all stayed up across the street to celebrate. Christmas was pretty good, got to see most of the family. How was yours?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:38 pm Reply with quote
rb2d2

Christmas was wonderful! New Years Eve was nothing special but nice. I've got nothing to complain about. Course that doesn't keep me from complaining anyway. LOL

Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:05 pm Reply with quote
fishead
Site Admin

I got sick, bad virus and it peaked around christmas day. That lasted about a week and half, just getting over it now.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:19 pm Reply with quote
rb2d2

Awwww, that's terrible, Dave. I'm sorry your Christmas was spoiled but glad you are just about over the illness.

Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:21 pm Reply with quote
rb2d2

Just checked out the picture, on the Blog, you've taken today so you must be feeling pretty good. I'm glad you're out getting fresh air and sunshine and doing something you enjoy..

Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:37 pm Reply with quote
fishead
Site Admin

That was yesterday and I am doing much better. Still have a nasty cough though.

You using facebook yet? Let me know when you do and we can hook up.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:10 pm Reply with quote
rb2d2

No, I'm not using Facebook and I don't have any plans to use it.

Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:31 pm Reply with quote
fishead
Site Admin

I've tried it off and on, but I've been using it more lately, it connects me with friends and family. Even chatted with my mother not long ago. I get to see family photos that I would otherwise never see, I get kept up to date on what family members are doing and I also get to share my family photos and everything new. fb is growing rapidly with older people, a new way to stay in touch with friends and loved ones. Many people take photos with their phones and upload them to fb instantly. But not everyone wants to expand communications or see recent photos of family members.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:15 am Reply with quote
rb2d2

How Safe Are Facebook,twitter And Myspace?

Shocked

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:12 pm Reply with quote
fishead
Site Admin

Ya I know rb, and how safe is the web? If one is to be paranoid they will throw their pc away for fear of getting a virus or something bad.

fb isn't a replacement for a forum, it can be a promotional tool.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:16 pm Reply with quote
fishead
Site Admin

That guy has about ten ads on his page, how safe is he? His argument could be used for all websites, ebay, amazon, all stores, all sites really. He is scaring people to make money on ads. Like I said, people should and actually do get rid of computers out of fear, there is no end to the things to be afraid of. But then,. going to the store you could get robbed, crashed into, murdered, lightning, meteorite, and on and on . .....

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:38 pm Reply with quote
rb2d2

Of course you are right, Dave. The creeps are all around us. I often wonder how a newbie even makes it on the PC these days without getting infected to the keester within a few days. You never know when even a respectable site will plant a bug on your PC and the owner of the site doesn't have anything to do with it.

A few times now I've had a box pop up out of the blue telling me Windows has found tons of Virues and Trojans and do I want to scan now for free. Sometimes you can't even close the d%$#$ thing! I'de shut down all open window and the d%$# box would following me to the desktop! It had no X in the corner or Close button. I had to shut down the PC to get rid of it.

Sad

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:09 pm Reply with quote
fishead
Site Admin

wow that is pretty aggressive. I don't get too many of those any more, I did get them in myspace but I don't use it anymore. I think I just used cnt alt delete and shut the program down. Now pop ups are back, even on responsible sites, but I found if I just leave it open it won't keep reopening, then close it later when I leave that site.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:48 am Reply with quote
rb2d2

Quote:
Now pop ups are back, even on responsible sites, but I found if I just leave it open it won't keep reopening, then close it later when I leave that site.

Trouble is some of the pop ups cover up a major part of what I want to read though. Sometimes they go away but sometime they don't and they don't have an X or close button to click. I do get some pop unders sometimes and they don't show up until I close the site, I wonder what all they are doing until I get to them. ^%$#$

Shocked

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:10 pm Reply with quote
fishead
Site Admin

They're getting worse too. Now I notice that instead of one they keep giving you new ones with every click. Also if you click on any text you can get a pop up. I like to highlight pieces of text to keep my place on the page but now I get pop ups.

Google ads are causing chaos, it used to be I could make money on them but now there are all these trash sites that steal content and have 90% google ads on the page. Even some sites with good content are doing it, 90% ads. I did add another one on my site but it will never be trashing looking with G ads all over. Google needs crack down on the trash sites, its a shame that they are making money from theft or from taking advantage of google ad program, but so far google could care less. Google is going downhill and they better be careful because they could lose out to bing which is looking pretty good these days.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:24 pm Reply with quote
rb2d2

Quote:
I like to highlight pieces of text to keep my place on the page

What a neat idea! That never occurred to me.

Ads=money. And who out there isn't after making money. They aren't going away anytime soon. TV is even worst and that's a BIG pet peeve of mine. On TV you can't just ignore the ads and go on watching what you want, they are in your face. When paid TV first came out the selling point was no ads, but little by little it gotten just as bad as free TV, maybe worse. I counted 11 ads the other day between one break in a show.

Shocked

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:57 pm Reply with quote
fishead
Site Admin

Newspapers are the worse, the paper is full of ads and if that isn't enough their websites are too. With so many ads should give them away for free.

I did a search once for a certain phrase and found countless websites with just that phrase in one paragraph and no other content with umteen ads. I reported this to google but like I said, they couldn't care less. Thieves steal content from thieves and on and on it goes.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:54 am Reply with quote
rb2d2

Quote:
Newspapers are the worse

Nope, magazines are!!!!!

Evil or Very Mad

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 6:32 pm Reply with quote
rb2d2

Quote:
I did a search once for a certain phrase and found countless websites with just that phrase in one paragraph and no other content with umteen ads.

This has been happening to me a lot lately! What makes these people think you're going to stay there and look at ads when you're busy looking for something specific. It makes me mad, I sure won't look at their ads.

This is not good promo for Google. I wonder how much control they have over that?

Question

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 8:48 pm Reply with quote
fishead
Site Admin

It works like this, people don't find what you're looking for and many times the ads themselves appear to have the answer so people click on them because they're still searching. If you have what people are looking for, then they don't need to click on your ads. So the parasites make all the money and the honest ones with the real answers don't.

I used to have fish sex category for my cartoons years ago and that page got a lot of hits and I made decent money on the ads because there really wasn't much for fish sex. But that wasn't real and so I quit doing it.

I do have a page about my copyrights and I don't know why but it gets a lot of hits. I should put ads on it.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 2:37 am Reply with quote
rb2d2

Quote:
I do have a page about my copyrights and I don't know why but it gets a lot of hits.

Could be because you posted a link to it on Facebook?

Smile