Fisherman's Forum Forum Index -> Fishing -> Trolling tips
Trolling tips
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:20 pm Reply with quote
fishead
Site Admin

I'm going to paste this from an email I got from a customer:

Hi Dave I have a couple of question if you don't mind. do you're clip on sinker works with planer boards also do you sell the crawler rigs .I am just getting in to trolling other then your video is there any other book or video you recommend. I live in St Louis mo and the lakes our not that deep but still deep enough so in the spring do start with crawler rigs fist or crank baits. I really enjoyed your ebook and stories thanks for everything Jeff

-------------------------

Hi Jeff, the ckip-on sinkers will work with planer boards but I usually don't because I like to keep one line at mid depths.

I don't sell the crawler spinner rigs, but I do offer a floater rig that might work good in lakes, its what I use in the Mississippi river. I would see those for a dollar each. I usually sell them with sinkers as a kit.

As far as more info I do have a great trolling book for lake erie, but I bought it at a gas station near there and it may be hard to find. Its called "Lake Erie Walleye" by Mark Hicks.

Trolling is easy, just cast out a crank bait, feed out a little line and motor all around. The slower the deeper it will go, and the further out the line the deeper it will until line resistance starts to counter it, so don't feed out too much. Thats when the clip-on sinker comes into play.

If your trolling and nothing is happening try turning the boat in zigzags, this will speed up and slow down baits during the turns and that may help get keyed in on things.

Basically a medium diver can do it all with trolling sinkers. Troll fast and it runs shallow, troll slow and it runs about 10-15 feet, add a sinker and about any depth is possible.

Braided line can get ruined real fast if it twists so I never use it.

The spinner riigs are good in the spring mostly but work anytime. If they crankbait bite is slow, try a crawler rig. I like to use them while drifting when its windy but I do troll with them and caught my two biggest walleye doing so. Slow is the key though, but not so slow that the blades don't spin. I use big blades, but other than lake erie I really don't use them alot, I like my floating hair worm, and I think it would work on lake erie, I will try it more my next trip.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:52 pm Reply with quote
st louis angler

Hi dave I know that their are sauger in the water around me like the missippi and the illinios river in the metro area. do you troll first or jig and
do you hit the spillways or the wing dam an sloughs thanks again dave
st louis angler
re
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:20 pm Reply with quote
fishead
Site Admin

Quote:
Hi dave I know that their are sauger in the water around me like the missippi and the illinios river in the metro area. do you troll first or jig and
do you hit the spillways or the wing dam an sloughs thanks again dave
st louis angler

I used to fish the spillways in the spring and fall, and sometimes winters and caught mostly saugers but a lot of walleyes too. In the warmer months I fish wingdams and sloughs. Wingdams can be good in the fall but the dam tailwaters are hard to beat for numbers. One reason I don't fish the tailwaters as much is because they close the dam area at dam 13 and so the other dams are all the more crowded. When I fish the tailwaters I like to use a 1/3 oz jig and minnow, sometimes a slipsinker and floater and sometimes a slip sinker with a rapala. On the rock river I use lighter jigs, its not as deep.

Fisherman's Forum Forum Index -> Fishing