Fisherman's Forum Forum Index -> Fishing -> Early Walleye 3-19-10
Early Walleye 3-19-10
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Toast

Caught some nice Walleye yesterday on pool 14. Slow mid day but picked up for a couple hours in the afternoon. Bites were far in between and didnt see many others doing well eighter. Ended up with 9 total with 2 keepers, and 3 strippers. That cold front moved in quick later in the afternoon and the bite was over. Great day out compared to today. Have some pictures but havent figured out how to insert yet.
Anyone else doing any thing?
re
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:58 pm Reply with quote
fishead
Site Admin

Sounds like 14 was better than 13. There was a lot of spoonbill snagging going on, I guess they're getting a few. They changed the locks on thursday and it seemed to kill what few fish were biting. I hear they are catching fish at belview and in the Rock River.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Toast

Going to check the river this morning, want to go again so bad. Do you think the cold front put them down? I was reading allot of fish the other day but they werent interested.
re
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:09 pm Reply with quote
fishead
Site Admin

I doubt the cold front hurts anything. I wanted to go today but figured it was too windy and cold, takes the fun out of it. And its a weekend, so probably lots of boats.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Toast

I ended up going right after lunch today and seen a 23" caught right after I got there. The wind wasnt to bad on the east side but breezy. 4 boat is all there, I ended up catching one 21" and one just under 14". Fish were there and deep but not to interested.
re
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:17 pm Reply with quote
fishead
Site Admin

Ya fishing is pretty tough still then. I wonder if it isn't the fishing pressure on that pool...? It used to be pretty good in March.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Toast

I did ok last year the first week of April on pool 14. Not to bad for my second year of Walleye fishing. Grew up a Crappie fisherman but always wanted to try it and now Im hooked.
I read up on shallow spring Walleye's last year and tried it out. Caught some nice ones and supprised myself.
re
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:16 pm Reply with quote
fishead
Site Admin

I used to be able to catch 20-30 keepers every trip in march/april. I mostly fished at belview, but 14 was good too. There is a lot more walleye fisherman these days.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:32 am Reply with quote
Toast

Yea I was supprised by the amount of Walleye fisherman also. I try and stay away from the big crowds. When the boats pile in a big circle I just wonder away from them and fish the water not fished. It seems if there in the area you can find them.
re
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:02 pm Reply with quote
fishead
Site Admin

That's why I quit fishing the dam area for a few years, it gets too frustrating. It didn't use to bother me but any more I just like to get away from it all. After taking a break for a few years I am giving it another try, being refreshed. In the summer I think the walleye bite just about everywhere, so my goal is to get away from everyone by picking the hardest spots to fish. I still like to bass fish some, I quit doing that for a few years too, but it's fun. It's nice to switch species sometimes. Also I am spoiled from lake erie, after making my trip there it seems a waste of time to fish very long if they're not biting. Getting ready to make my trip this year, it won't be long.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Toast

Im with you, I think fish are all over and like fishing for those spots that allot of people dont. Hey that's what fishing all about. I got heavy into Bass fishing 9 years ago and have slowed down but still enjoy it. I cant pass up some Crappies though, but the Walleye have got me hooked right now.
I been fishing up by Sturgen Bay near Door county for Kings and Browns. Havent done any Walleye fishing in the big lakes though and bet there big.
re
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:24 pm Reply with quote
fishead
Site Admin

Ya lake erie has big walleye. They used to have the numbers too but fishing is getting slower. My daughter lives up in Wisconsin near stevens point and they have pretty good walleye fishing.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:06 am Reply with quote
Toast

Did you get out today, I thought I seen you at R&R this morning when I went by? I got out this afternoon and got some nice ones, 7.1lbs and a 6.6lbs. took home 8. I will send photos.
re
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:18 am Reply with quote
fishead
Site Admin

Ya I was sitting there for awhile but didn't see any boats go by. I guess a buddy of mine was sitting their waiting after I left, and they didn't open till 8. I got discouraged and quit after a couple hours, they changed the locks again and too much current. All I could catch was carp. Maybe the bite is in the afternoon, going early was a mistake.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:21 pm Reply with quote
fishead
Site Admin

Dave, if you want to use your photos in other forums you get the url here: http://www.fisheadtackle.com/missj10_daves.html

Just let me know if you ever want them removed.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:53 am Reply with quote
Toast

Got out after work today and fished till 8;30. caught One Walleye 14". I was disappointed, thought this warm air might have helped?
re
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:01 pm Reply with quote
fishead
Site Admin

I think most of the walleye are spawning now. I found some water that was 60 yesterday and main river is 48 already. This worries me for my lake erie trip, the bass will have already spawned so it will be walleye only.

Fisherman's Forum Forum Index -> Fishing