Fisherman's Forum Forum Index -> Fishing -> The truth about birds
The truth about birds
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:02 pm Reply with quote
fishead
Site Admin

I saw a Pelican the other day swimming along a weed edge eating one fish after the other all the way down river. I don't know what they were but there is a good chance they were small Bass, Walleye or Sauger. If not they could have been bait fish that game fish rely on. There is hundreds if not thousands of Pelicans on pool 13 alone. I have been fishing one spot that has small bass in it, and an occasional Walleye, and when I arrive I see several pelicans feeding in that spot, and they wait until I leave and they move right back in and they are eating small Bass. The Pelicans have that huge bill and they can scoop up a whole spawning of Bass in one gulp and i have seen them do this. One bird can wipe out whole spawning area in one feeding.

There are a lot more Cormorants than Pelicans and they can dive to 60' and swim like a fish and they eat a lot of fish everyday. The Cormorants will actually help feed the Pelicans, I have seen it and Pelicans help each other to fill their bellies everyday. These birds are protected and their numbers increase greatly every year. They nest with the Cormorants, Egrets, Herons and Seagulls and they kill all the trees on islands with their droppings and soon the islands erode away since there is no more vegetation to protect the soil.

Hunters are allowed to hunt Ducks and Geese, who really cause no problems for me what so ever, but since they eat some of the farmers crops, and since they get so over populated from lack of predators that we wiped out, they get in the way of airplanes. But they don't eat any fish and they don't hurt the river at all.

I enjoy watching birds, I have several feeders around the house and I love taking photos of them, but I am also aware that the Pelicans and Cormorants are hurting the fishing, much more than people realize.

Fisherman's Forum Forum Index -> Fishing